Dandelion Mist

Dandelion Mist
“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.” Jim Elliot, Missionary

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Thanksgiving Memories


!

Sunday, July 30, 2017
9:59 PM

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2006
My GRACE is Sufficient!
As I sit here beginning to write my Blog, I am in the active process of listening to 99.7 Family Life Radio. How amazing that the two programs I have been listening to this morning are about the very subject I have decided to write about today!

The first was Chuck Swindoll in raising children and the difficulties we encounter and the huge responsibilities. The second (which is still in progress is the story of a Korean Street Child, as she tells her story of being put out in the street as an infant, still believing that her mother loves her, but did what she had to do. The child, now a grown Christian woman, in ministry, tells of being thrown into a building with another little girl, younger than she. She tells of the hatred she felt at being used as a human bait for rats. She tells of being abused by men over and over. She told of a man who finally showed some real affection and she spat on him, at nine years old, she was dead to emotion except for hatred. She was adopted by a Christian couple and began to know God and the love of Christ and began to heal....what a blessing to have a mother and father who can Train up a child in the way he should go!

That leads me into my subject for today. Proverbs 22:6 is an all time favorite verse for most Christian parents. I have that scripture dedicated in a brick at the Melbourne Beach Library for my three grandsons; Ryan, Ian, and Zane.

As I think deeply and intently about the verse, I see so many ways it can be understood. ( I LOVE the living, dynamic, changing, revealing, yet firm ways God makes His every Word come alive!)

Train: the definition of train means to impart knowledge, to instruct by precept and example, to give experience. As we train a tender plant as in a Bonsai tree, so shall it be bent. As we nurture and gently shape and mold it, as we turn it toward the sun (SON), it will turn in that direction. We can not force it, we must be gentle and consistent...if we force it, it will break. This is proven Biblically by the following scripture:

Colossians 3:21 " fathers, (and mothers) provoke not your children to wrath, lest they be discouraged" Some translations say: "Do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged."

Know that your child is wonderfully made by God and trust God that He will be His protector and guide. Know that His grace is sufficient for you and for your child if you leave that child in the Father's hands!

When we train up a child in the way he should go it means more than meets the eye! Train is to teach, to admonish, to gently guide, to discipline with loving admonishment (to express disapproval by gentle and earnest, solicitous manner, to advise and encourage...not DIS-courage).

As we train our child, we know that the fruit we will see may (most likely) not be immediate, nor even may it be in the next few years, but know that if you lovingly, gently, teach and admonish by example of your own life, that child will turn to the one who is loving, forgiving, and provides for him in his times of trouble. If he knows that God is his counselor, his sustenance, his rock of salvation, a very present help, his Lord and savior, he will turn to Him! It is God's promise. It is truth. It is written. God is faithful. The KEY is training by example, with love, gentleness, and loving admonishment.

When the Bible says; "spare the rod, and spoil the child...." I shudder to think of the ways in which this has been made perverse! We knew of a man back in Sheridan, who made a rod about three feet long and about 1/2 " thick to use on his children! They were ages from one year to about three!

In Biblical times, the rod was a gentle probe to guide or nudge in a certain direction. The rod and staff were to comfort not to beat or harm! We need to nudge our children in the right direction. If we see them having a desire we should listen with intention, ask them to pray with us about it and ask God to direct and counsel and then let God's grace be sufficient. In doing this, we teach them to seek God for all decisions and to trust in God's will not our own.

David was a man "after Gods own heart" yet David killed a man, caused another to die at the front lines of battle, committed adultery, killed a giant, killed a lion, and danced naked (he was actually wearing his undergarments) in the streets. The heart of David was toward the Lord, always. His intent was to please God, yet he failed many times to be a perfect example....the consequences of his behavior was to have those same sins repeated by his own sons, and to lose the son of Bathsheba. He paid the price of sin. God is no respecter of persons, if we sin, we pay in this life, as well as being judged or rewarded on judgement day.

We teach our children that there are consequences in this life for our sins and for the choices that we make. When we include God in our decisions, I am a firm believer that He will work things together for good for those that love Him and keep His commandments!

We shall become as little children...."whosoever shall humble himself as this little child, the same is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven, and whosoever shall receive one such little child in my name, receiveth me. But whoso shall offend (cause one of these to stumble!) one of these who believe in me, it would be better for him if a millstone were hanged around his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."

The raising of a precious child is a very serious business. It is the greatest responsibility one can ever carry. It absolutely must be done with fervent prayer and with a bridled tongue. It must be carried out with the I Corinthians Love scriptures:

Love suffereth LONG! Love is KIND! Love envieth not! Love vaunteth not ITSELF! Love is not puffed up! Love doth not behave itself UNSEEMLY!
Love seeketh not her own! Love is not easily PROVOKED! Love thinketh no EVIL! Love rejoices not in unrighteousness. Love rejoices in TRUTH!
Love bears all things! Love Believes all things! Love HOPES all things! Love ENDURES all things! Love NEVER FAILS!

To the children: Children OBEY your parents in the LORD, for this is right. Honor thy father and mother. This is a commandment with promise, that it may go well with you! (Eph.6:1-2).

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth.....let all bitterness and wrath, and anger, clamor, and evil speaking or railing (shouting, arguing) be put away from you! Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving, EVEN as GOD forgives you! (Eph. 29-32).

Fathers, provoke NOT your children to wrath! but bring them up in the LOVING nurture of the Lord. (Eph. 6:1)

As Thanksgiving is upon us, I am so thankful to my God and my Savior for my children! I thank my God for my grandchildren and my son-in-law and for my husband. God is so good to us. I have no words to thank Him for His awesome grace, mercy, love, patience, forgiveness, and His constant and wonderful presence. I am so glad, in light of my lack of ability to thank Him enough, that His GRACE is truly sufficient for me!

To my family: I thank you for being a part of my life, for the blessing you have been to me these past years, I thank my God for all of you. I thank my God for my brothers and sisters around the world, for the body of the Living Church of Jesus Christ, our Redeemer! With every blessing, I give HIM praise!

Thanksgiving be Unto our Father!
The Fishermens Line
Pray Without Ceasing!

http://fishermensline.blogspot.com/2006/>



No comments:

Post a Comment